cfish

Author/Community Confusion

Vote 0 Votes

I have MT4.3 Pro with a 5 author licence. I would like to create a community blog i.e. a blog where any authorised member of the community can post an article on a single community blog. Is this possible under the terms of the licence or am I restricted to just 5 authors (i.e. a "community" of just 5)?

In addition to the community blog, I intend to have 2 or 3 classic (single author) blogs. Does my licence allow me to do this? If not, could I do it with the Open Source option?

7 Replies

| Add a Reply
  • You should go to movabletype.com and contact their sales support. Then, if you're feeling up to it, post their response here so that it's part of the forums. This is really the sort of question you want an official opinion on.

• I'd like to know this too - did you get an answer, cfish?

Offical license seems to say 'no' -
    1.3 For the purposes of this Agreement, "User" means a unique login name generated or recognized by an instance of the Software that possesses the permission to do anything more than commenting on one or more blogs and which has been used to log in to the Software within the prior ninety (90) days.

Therefore, blogging > commenting and a blogger would count as user not profile...

I've contacted MT to confirm either way...

• "This answer for Cfish comes from Sales:

The 5-Author license comes with 5,000 Profiles. Cfish, the licensee, can make available up to 5k profiles for visitors to create and post on the community blog.

However, an "author" is anyone with a unique login to Movable Type; for example, anyone with permission to change blog entry content or modify blog settings.

Licenses are based on active 'authors" who have logged into the system in the past 90 days. Site visitors, readers and commenters are not considered "authors" for the purposes of licensing.

A profile is an online identity that includes a photograph, personal bio information, links and other details about you. It enables visitors to learn more about each other and to make connections and build trust on the blog. You may choose to limit commenting to people who have created a profile.

Also, this MT 4.3 Pro 5-Author license allows Cfish to have unlimited blogs."

If you have any further questions on these issues, please let us know.

• Yep, that's right. "5 Authors" means just that - not really a "community" blog in my opinion. That's why I am now using Wordpress MU and am kicking myself for buying a license for MT. You live and learn.

• Just to clarify some key items that Olly asked about:

If a "personal blog" is created for a user when they register, then the "user" becomes an "author" and the larger "blog owner" has "spent" one of his 5 authors.

Because MT grants the user full admin rights upon granting a personal blog, a "user" becomes an "author."

As such, if you grant your users personal blogs, those users will count as authors, and you will be subject to the limits of your MT license.
    o
    If you do not grant your users blogs, you have a limit of profile users whatever the number of profiles your license allows.

Thanks

• Correction: dropped a word in the last sentence. Should read:

If you do not grant your users blogs, you have a limit of profile users, that is limited to whatever the number of profiles your license allows.

• I also try to do with open source, but it didn't work as i expected, so better not to go with single author.

Add a Reply

If you need to share template code, replace all the "<" signs with "&lt;" or use this utility.

Forum Groups

code.sixapart.com

141 499

Last Topic: Action Stream for LinkedIn by michael webster on Jan 10, 2013

262 925

Last Topic: Helo probably Malware by dedalus on May 30, 2013

1882 6674

Last Topic: Archive Template by Sathish on May 31, 2013

89 312

Last Topic: Seeking explanation of files and folders by CosmicKnight on Feb 23, 2013

1530 5523

Last Topic: Comment Preview Problems by Dave Cross on Jun 4, 2013

745 3155

Last Topic: Importing and Creating Subcategories by Marc Boucher on May 24, 2013

90 342

Last Topic: HELP! I need to 301 over 100 urls on my site via htaccess by justin on Feb 22, 2013

193 803

Last Topic: Deleting Revision History by Will Haynes on Mar 16, 2013

220 730

Last Topic: Cookies are being overwritten by David on May 11, 2013

28 98

Last Topic: Movable Price by joe22 on Jan 10, 2013

65 251

Last Topic: Expanding new rich text editor and implementing table function by Takeshi Nick Osanai on Jul 30, 2012