Dave Cross

Creating an Entry in a Multiblog site

Vote 0 Votes

As mentioned previously, I’m building a multiblog site for a community. I’m using the community blog template set from MTPro 4.23.

The front page will be a blog with no entries - it will just show the most recent entries from all the other blogs. Each registered user will have their own blog. Each user will only have permission to create entries on their own blog.

When a user visits the site, they will usually go to the front page. They’ll log in using the login links in the top right corner.

Having logged in, they might want to create an entry. They’ll probably use the ‘create entry’ link that appears on the top left of the front page when they’re logged in.

Problem 1 is that the create entry page that appears at the point is different to the one that appears if you’re in the backend admin pages. This page doesn’t allow you to set tags, keywords or categories (for example). It would be good if the ‘create entry’ link too you directly to a fully-featured entry creation page.

Problem 2 is that when you create an entry using this form, you get a ‘permission denied’ error. I assume that this is because it’s trying to create an entry in the wrong blog - the front page blog and not the user’s own blog.

So, is there any way to configure it so that the default ‘create entry’ action is to create an entry on the user’s own blog rather than the main blog?

Has anyone built a site like this with MTPro before?

Cheers,

Dave…

Reported on Movable Type 4.2

3 Replies

| Add a Reply
  • Dave, I've built a large multiblog site in 4.1 Pro -- aggregating a coupla dozen blogs -- and am working now on a dev server to upgrade it to 4.23. I'm facing the same problem you are with the "Create Entry" link on the multiblog going nowhere. (Although we don't offer it as a front page.)

My inclination would be to take that link off the multiblog, since many authors have access to several blogs, and would really need the dropdown that lets them choose one, with an option to go into the full dashboard if their permissions allow. (I would like to make that permission-based, since I can't train the hundreds of people who'll be able to make basic posts.)

I'd rather enforce, "Go to the blog you want to post in and log in there."

On individual blogs, I'd like a tags field to work there -- SEO really thrives on tags. I could add the field one to the "Create Entry" template along with the title and body, but it didn't show any tags in the dashboard view of the test post. I don't want to be adding tags from the dashboard to each post later. That won't scale.

While your post was showing on the front page in need of an answer I didn't want to reply, but I see nobody answered, so I'm adding my voice to your requests.

• Thanks for you reply. I have to admit that I'm slightly disappointed. I thought that MT Pro would do all the things that I needed and now it looks like it doesn't (at least not without putting in far more effort than I have time for).

So I'm not really sure where I'm going to go from here.

Cheers,

Dave...

• What blog_id does the entry editor have in the url when you are getting the permission denied? Also, you might want to see if this can help you debug that error: http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/developer/plugins/debug-mode.html

Add a Reply

If you need to share template code, replace all the "<" signs with "&lt;" or use this utility.

Forum Groups

code.sixapart.com

137 479

Last Topic: Getting a thumbnail with xpath by Peter on Mar 13, 2011

238 797

Last Topic: Manifest Schema Compatibility Issue When Restoring Blog by Matt on Oct 17, 2012

1858 6594

Last Topic: Categories and Basename Publishing Issues by e21media on Oct 25, 2012

88 307

Last Topic: absolute publish date in Manage Entries screen by .mau. on Apr 18, 2012

1488 5347

Last Topic: Anti-cloning by .mau. on Oct 29, 2012

732 3093

Last Topic: Blog moved server - now users cannot access blog? by mowgs on Oct 30, 2012

89 317

Last Topic: How to "pretify" a url in htaccess with a few wildcards by Caio on May 30, 2012

183 771

Last Topic: Commenting with TypePad by Rob Ferrara on Oct 17, 2012

212 680

Last Topic: Does MT-Approval work in MT5? by DLpres on Sep 25, 2012

27 100

Last Topic: Upgrading MT by Caio on Oct 15, 2012

49 224

Last Topic: Movable Type 6 Ideas by Caio on May 28, 2012

65 248

Last Topic: Expanding new rich text editor and implementing table function by Takeshi Nick Osanai on Jul 30, 2012